Tuesday, February 19, 2008

High School Musical


High School Musical is all the rage. Being an elementary school teacher, I felt the need to "keep it real" with my students. When HSM 1 (that's what the popular people call it...HSM) came out, I watched it so I could be cool with my 2nd graders. By the time HSM2 came out, I never got around to watching it, but I knew the main characters so, I could carry on a 2nd grade conversation about it.

Cut to... Grandma and Papa babysitting while Andy and I had a night away. We come home to our 4 and 5 year olds singing and dancing to HSM. Now if you know my girls, you know they love to sing and dance. I mean really love it. Apparently, they had a movie marathon and watched both movies in one night. I'm thinking, "They sat on the couch for 4 hours watching TV?!?!"

When we got home the girls were dying to watch HSM 2 with us...since we had (gasp!) never seen it. So, we decided to have our own movie night. What I expected to be a relaxing evening turned into well, a concert. My girls didn't sit for one second to watch the movie. Let me rephrase that...Every time a song came on (which is about every 3 minutes) the girls were up acting it out with the cast. It was really funny actually. Oh, and Andy lasted about 10 minutes. He's not such a fan of the musical. Can you imagine?

So, here's my take on the whole thing. HSM is totally the Grease of my day...without the sexual innuendos and smoking. Throw in a little Dirty Dancing...without the pelvic thrusts and drinking... and you have High School Musical!! So, bottom line is I am okay with them getting their exercise while watching a movie that I would have soooo loved as a kid. Plus, let's be honest, the music is catchy!!

5 comments:

Lacking Productivity said...

Now you need to watch the sing-a-long and the dance-a-long versions.

sburns said...

What a classic. You forgot to mention that when the girls are in the car they must listen to HSM. Am I right??? Just like when you were their age! They are you and Becky all over again!

Katrine said...

You don't mean to, and you may even try not to, but you can't help singing along with HSM!

Jason, as himself said...

I have something to admit. I have never seen HSM, not the first one, not the second one. I'm not popular, I'm not cool.

But you would think that I WOULD have seen them, several times each, right?

Pumpkin Delight (Kimberly) said...

I'm right there with you Jason. I have not watched them either. ALL of the little girls in my class LOVE it. They have backpacks and t-shirts and some of them even having matching backpacks and t-shirts. The only thing I know is two of the main characters are dating and I heard that from my class.