Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Reflections

The girls entered a school art contest in October. It is called the Reflections program and it goes on in schools all across the state. You could enter under visual arts, photography, dance, or writing. The theme was "Wow!" and your entry had to reflect the theme. Bella took a picture at Disneyland of the big Mickey pumpkin. Olivia drew a picture of the Disneyland castle. I'm embarrassed to say that as a teacher, I had no idea what a nice ceremony the reflections contest was. I thought we were going to look at the art and eat some cake. However, all of the students who participated got a medal with their names on it and a gift certificate for a dinner at Islands.
Then, there were trophies given out for grades K-2 and 3-6 in all of the categories. Imagine our surprise when Bella was called as the 2nd place winner in the photography competition!!
(That is our Vice-Principal and Principal on stage with her. Love them both!)

Here's the artist herself!!
The funniest part of the evening was when there were only two trophies left. Olivia and her friend Madison were sitting by me at the ceremony. I overheard Madison say,"There are only two trophies left and they better be for us!" Unfortunately, they weren't! Also, Bella's friend Samantha was called as the 1st place winner in the visual arts category and when they called her name she screamed, jumped up and started hysterically crying because she was so excited. It was the cutest thing ever! This was an unexpectedly great night!

3 comments:

Jason, as himself said...

All schools?

What the hell is reflections?

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! Watch out Mitzi.

Katrine said...

Congratulations Bella!

What is wrong with my brother? We had Reflections at our school growing up. It is the ONLY award I ever won. Jason has chosen to forget Reflections because it is the ONLY award he never won!