Wednesday, March 11, 2009

The Bain of my Existence

This is the hill in our backyard. When we bought our house, oh 8 years ago, the hill didn't seem like such a big deal. It had a couple of trees and some ground cover. So, we moved in without another thought. Then, the weeds started to grow. And grow. And grow. And grow. The size of the job overwhelms me.
Unfortunately, I married the only Mexican that doesn't do yard work. (Don't be offended, he's not and I say it right to his face. He knows.) I can't enjoy my backyard because I can't stand looking at the hill. We've had estimates for a retaining wall ($15,000), we've hired people to weed and plant ground cover, but things just die in our rocky soil. I freakin' hate this hill.
On any given day, you might see something like this...a dead bush that never stood a chance.
Then, there was the one ginormous bush that grew so big it looked ridiculous. One day, Andy decided to cut it down. Then we had this root system sitting on the hill for, ummm, six months.

Well, lucky us because about a year ago, our next door neighbors moved in. He's a landscaper. He's the one that did our patio cover. Both Andy and I have been working super hard lately and we have some extra money (You know what I mean. Is there really any extra money?) Anyway, when your next door neighbor has a beautiful backyard and has to look at our monstrosity for months on end, he does a really good job when you ask him to. NOW look at my hill...
Any suggestions for plants, bushes, or trees that could turn this beast into a beauty??


9 comments:

Unknown said...

Gosh, I have no clue...maybe spray paint it?

You could call CalTrans and have the guys who do the landscaping on the slopes fix it up nice.

I'm no help am I?

Pumpkin Delight (Kimberly) said...

I've got nothing, but I'm sure your landscaping nextdoor neighbor has some good ideas. :)
Did you miss me today?

Lacking Productivity said...

I say desert landscape...cover the whole thing in pretty rocks and never touch it again...or urban landscape...just cement it all out and never touch it again.

ChiTown Girl said...

First, I gotta tell ya, my Lopez never did yard work, either!!

I would definitely talk to the neighbor, he must have ideas. I know you said nothing will grow in the soil, which is too bad because I was thinking a ground cover of some pretty English ivy would look nice. I kinda like LP's suggestion of nice rocks. I suppose I haven't been any help, huh? That's why MY entire yard is now a deck!!!

mom x 2 said...

Wish I could help you... we had a hill just like that one, but my driveway was part of it. One thing about having dirt, is you don't have to figure out how to mow it- trust me that's not fun either. When we moved my husband told the developer- I want the flattest lot in the neighborhood... no more hills for us. Good Luck

Jason, as himself said...

Oh, this is exciting.

And I agree with Kira. Rocks. Think Phoenix landscaping.

Unknown said...

Ummmmmmmm, I haven't a clue. This is how I did our garden last year. I went to Wallmart and saw lots of CHEAPO plants and put them all in my cart. And then when I was pushing it up to the register I thought about the people that own a flower shop accross the street and how it is always EMPTY in their lot now that Wallmart is in, so I put all of my plants back and went to the flower shop. I filled my cart there. With what? Who knows. I had no idea. If it was pretty and had a flower, I popped it in the cart. Brought them home. Looked at the garden spot. It's only about 10 feet by 5 feet. Teeny Tiny. Couldn't figure out a thing. Called my sister in law. And that is the end. All that to say, I would be absolutely the WORST person in the world to give you a suggestion : ) so I won't even try!

PS LOVE your niece Sofia. Oh my gosh. She is So beautiful it is ridiculous!

and PSS Cried like a baby. Looked like a big blubbering idiot! Sad but true!

Unknown said...

PSSS Don't you think the title Bain of my Existence is a little dramatic?!?!?!?!

I LOVE it : ).

Anonymous said...

Take a picture of the hillside to a nursery like Greens Nursery there on Bouquet and ask them for suggestions. Their suggestions have always been helpful.

My dad had someone plant a hill that was having issues with growing plants. Some lady came out and planted all sorts of native species and drought tolerant plants, ones that will survive the blistering summer heat. The hill looked great when things came in bloom. I'll have to get her name.