Wednesday, August 29, 2007

We Moved To Texas, Ya'll!

In the summer of 1986, my dad got a two year job transfer to Plano, Texas. It was a strange age to move because I had just graduated from 6th grade, Becky had just finished 4th. When we moved to Texas, we bought a new house that wasn't completely finished yet. So, in the mean time we lived in a Residence Inn. My dad's company gave us a food and clothing allowance and for the first time we got to do guilt-free back to school shopping. It was very important that we looked our best on our first day at our new schools.

This is where the details become a little foggy. Apparently, my mom still had a say in what clothes my 4th grade sister wore. Because, you see ya'll, my mom dressed my sister like a cowgirl on the first day of 5th grade. Becky wore a denim skirt and a red bandanna-print top. Thankfully, she did not have cowgirls boots on, but she looked like a straight up cowgirl. We believe, several years later, that my mom must have thought that this is how Texas girls dressed. This proved to be a huge mistake! The Texas girls dressed just like the California girls.

Once Becky realized she might as well have been dressed for Halloween, she began crying uncontrollably. She cried so hard the teacher sent her to the office. She cried so hard that she threw up. She cried so hard that my mom came to school and picked her up.

My mom has no recollection of this outfit. To this day, she denies it ever happened. But, my sister and I remember. I think there is a picture out there somewhere to prove it.

8 comments:

mitzi said...

I believe you. When I went to my first ballet class around age 5 or 6, my mom told me that the girls wore a t-shirt and tights (no leotard or shorts, nothing on the bottom except tights). Um, she was WRONG. And I think she blocked it from her memory.

Jason, as himself said...

This is one of my favorite stories ever. Funny now, but soooo humiliating then!

leavira said...

Hi Jen,
I think I remember a picture of Becky as a cowgirl or was that you ? Maybe, come to think of it, it could have been Halloween. In any case there was a picture of one of you dressed like a cowgirl at some point. You wanna know my favorite Texas memory of you guys? Though I only witnessed the video, that flippin' snowball fight was hillarious. I still crack up about that to this day. I'm sure Becky would love to know that. Is that very wrong of me?

;-))

Katrine said...

We live in Texas and my daughter dresses just like a cowgirl to go to school. Once a year. For Western Day! Someday you'll have to ask Jason how my mom dressed me. I usually looked like one of my brothers.

sburns said...

Sorry Jen. You have it all wrong. This is mom talking. Becky could care less how I dressed her that day. It wasn't until years later that the both of you found a picture of Becky wearing that outfit that you started this story. The reason Becky was crying was because she was scared to death of school. This lasted for about a week. The other story is more funn.

sburns said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lacking Productivity said...

I believe you...experiences like that stick! I have two outfits my mom liked that I hated, I can remember in vivid detail nearly every moment I had to spend in those clothes.

Becky said...

I remember this day very clearly. I don't remember picking the cowgirl outfit off the rack during back to school shopping...Mother!! I am still in therapy today because of the incident...Haha