Monday, April 28, 2008

Revisiting No TV Week

When Fishmama challenged me to a No TV duel it really wasn't my kids I was worried about. It was me. The girls usually watch a 1/2 hour show after school while they are eating lunch. Since they don't nap any more, I consider this quiet time. They also have a show before bed, again as quiet time. Is one hour a day too much TV? Probably. (Let's not mention how many times High School Musical shows up each week.) I do feel good about what they watch. They still love Disney, Sprout and Noggin. They don't watch Nick Jr. or any of the tween shows on Disney. (If your kids do, I am not judging.)



Anyway, Andy was in San Diego all week so I had a week of nightly activities planned with friends to keep me company. But, once the kids were fast asleep...what was I to do with myself? (Jason, shut up!)

Jessica suggested I use this guy to save all my shows for the week. Did she really think I was strong enough to pass up Grey's Anatomy after a six month writer's strike?


The week went a little something like this:
Day 1: We started off the afternoon with play-dough. That was a nice alternative to quiet time. No TV. How am I doing so far, Jessica?

Day 2: No daytime TV. Gave them a nighttime show because they were all wound up from dancing with Diego at Abercrombie and Fitch. (Another post for another time.)

Day 3: I had to work and Grandma had to babysit. Her back was out. Olivia watched a movie. Dang it!!

Day 5: The Friday after Open House, I was feeling a little bit like this:

So, the girls and I did a little bit of this:

(Except that I have 2 girls. Oh, and my hair is blond.)
Oh, what about my TV watching for the week you ask? I failed. Miserably.
My name is JLO and I have an addiction.



5 comments:

Jason, as himself said...

The first part of overcoming addiction is admitting you have a problem.

Lacking Productivity said...

You though about it...and you tried. I think that makes it a success. I think I will make that my teaching motto (here's to grade inflation!).

Lacking Productivity said...

thought ... not though

FishMama said...

First, obviously this was not something you had to do. Totally optional in life. I think the point of the whole "campaign" is to get families to rethink how they spend their time. I am the first to confess to mindless channel changing "back in the days."

Given the fact that TV is something you really love and enjoy, I think it was great that you were even willing to think about it. Because you didn't have to -- despite all my ribbing. ;) And since I have no idea what you mean by "failed miserably," I can't comment.

But if you say you have an addiction, I'm here to help....

Love you!

sburns said...

Go Jen!! I love watching Bella and Olivia watch a little Noggin when I'm there. There is nothing better than watching two little girls laughing out loud while Grandma makes their lunch or whatever. I also love it when they surprise my by some very smart remark and when I ask them, "where did you hear that?" they say....Noggin. Good for them.

Now then, I don't know what I would do with myself after dinner and a shower if I didn't have my special TV programs to watch. I enjoy watching and then discussing them with my daughters the very next day. It is called enjoyment and I look forward to it.

I don't think there is any difference watching good TV than playing on the computer like blogging for instance.