Monday, June 2, 2008

Swim Class

We just finished another round of swim class with Cathy. The girls have been going to Cathy since they were 1. They started in Mommy and me, where I would get in the pool with them (jeez) to get them comfortable in the water. I remember being in the pool with Bella while baby Livvie sat in her stroller in her pink sun hat watching us swim. Cathy is GREAT with the kids and has a million songs and cute things she says to them to make swimming not scary and super fun!
Here's our little swimmer girl...Bella. Cathy called her her giggly fish because she is full of smiles and giggles while she is swimming. For as calm and cautious as Bella is in everything in her life, she's exactly the opposite in the pool. She's a maniac in the pool! Bella has never been afraid of the water and has always been a good swimmer for her age...if I do say so myself!

She can float like a boat.

She can also jump off the diving board and swim a lap and a half...on her front and her back!
There she goes! Bella passed Level II this summer and began working on level 3. This means she'll tread water for 60 seconds (she made it to 57!) and swim laps with side breaths. Her coordination wasn't quite there for that yet. She is going to have a blast this summer in Grandma's pool.
Then there's our Livvie girl. Like everything else, Liv is a dramatic swimmer. What she lacks in confidence, she makes up for in athleticism. She is calm and graceful in the water. Olivia was very cautious and always made sure Cathy was within arms reach.
During the first week (we went 10 days in a row), Olivia would not go under and get the rings. She was fine grabbing them off the steps. Thank you very much.
But by week 2, she was all about it!

I was so proud of what Olivia could do by the end of the lessons. Although she wouldn't stand and jump in, she would sit on the edge, jump in and swim to the steps. All by herself. Way to go Liv!!
All done in a purple bikini, naturally!!
Look out summer, here we come!








2 comments:

Jason, as himself said...

Awwww. Miss Cathy. I'm glad.

I, on the other hand, am a loser of a parent, and have only taken my son to that one summer of swimming lessons.

That's why I'm not the city's Mommy of the Year.

I like you.

Jen said...

Great swimming. I am determined to get my boys swimming this summer! We slacked on the swim lessons, did one parks and rec last year, but I still have three non swimmers. Hmmmm...
By the way, thanks for all the great comments on our pictures. I didn't realize how much Cole does look like my brother until I looked again after your comment.