Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Do I Need to Be Afraid of Lunchboxes?

I have a question for you, bloggin' pals. I keep reading that kids' lunchboxes that have a silver lining in them have lead, therefore containing cancer causing materials that contaminate the food the kids are eating. So, I go to Whole Foods trying to find safe lunchboxes. I am, after all, always in the running for Mother of the Year. I'm going to assume MOTY does not send her kids to school with cancer-ish lunchboxes. The boxes at Whole Foods also have a silver lining but claim they are lead free. What's the deal? Is there fact to this or is it another urban legend?

I need some Internet guidance. I know you are just the peeps to give it. (Lurkers...please chime in as well!)

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

snopes.com always has the answers!

http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/lunchbox.asp

Unknown said...

Looks like we're back to square one with the old brown bag. Of course I have a plastic Scooby Doo lunch box around here somewhere that used to be my grandsons. It's yours for the asking!

Katrine said...

Oh great! I just bought two new lunch boxes. Now I have to tear them apart to see if there's some cancer lining in them! And did you know some hair bands from China are made from used condoms. Seriously! My daughter will have her hair hanging in her face while carrying her lunch in a handkerchief!

Jason, as himself said...

You can run, but you cannot hide. Everything causes cancer. Grandma J says brown bags? Well, brown bags cause cancer. Even things that don't cause cancer cause cancer.

If you're going to give up lunch boxes then be sure to prohibit french fries, grilled foods, anything in any kind of plastic, drinking water, and breathing air.

So whoop it up while you can!

Sorry, I know that wasn't the answer you were looking for.

Anonymous said...

Hi Jen, Its Terri just one of your many "lurkers". I think just to be safe go with the WholeFoods lunch box. Your girls are way to sassy for brown bags.P.S. Jason is way funny!

sburns said...

I agree with Jason. Why get up in the morning. I think you worry too much! I still love you though!

Maternal Mirth said...

Brown bag it. Draw fun stuff on the bags, too. Then Jay brings it home and we recycle it. That's what I do.

heartshapedhedges said...

Well....besides reading blogs, most of my internet time is spent reading "cancer" articles and wading through research.....not that I claim to know for sure, but Ive never heard anything about lunch boxes. Im part of a moms-with-kids-with-cancer online group (2 of them, actually) and we are always talking about this kind of stuff, and in 5 years...lunch boxes have never come up. So.....with that said, I can also tell you that everything (and NOTHING AT ALL) cause cancer....so, just go ahead and get a cute lunchbox.