Sunday, September 28, 2008

When It Rains...

In case you were keeping track, in the last month we have had to purchase:
* a new kitchen faucet after a sink clogging disaster
* two tires for my car
* a new motor for the computer
* two tires for Andy's truck
* a new motor for the refrigerator
Luckily for us, what could have been major financial disasters, turned out way less inexpensive thanks to a plumbing friend(Let's here it for Dale Heys everyone!) and a handy husband.
Our fridge died this week. When I went to fix breakfast Thursday morning, the frozen waffles were soggy.
"This doesn't seem right," I said to myself.
We called a repair man to come and check things out on Friday. He said the motor was dead and we needed a new one to the tune of $400. We have had the current fridge since we got married. It is a small side by side that fit in our town home. When we moved, we kept it, but as our family grew, I came to dislike this fridge. Oh, it works fine, but it is small. Too small to fit a turkey, too small for a casserole pan, too small for 2 cartons of milk. Now that it was broken, I thought I finally got to get a new family of four fridge. Yeah!!
Friday night we went to Sears, picked out a new fridge. You know the kind with the freezer on the bottom? Yeah, that kind. I was so excited. Giddy even. (Please refrain from telling me I'm old because I'm excited about appliances.) The new fridge was to be delivered on Sunday morning. Yippee!!
Then, Handy Andy gets on the computer and looks for fridge motors. He finds them for under $80 (and the repair man was charging $400). He also finds a site that tells you how to install them. So, Saturday morning, he gets the new motor, installs it, and we wait. Sure enough, he fixed the fridge.
As I dialed Sears on Saturday night to cancel my fridge, tears welled up in my eyes. I was so close and yet so far. Wonder what's going to break next?

5 comments:

Jason, as himself said...

Rats! Why does the practical solution have to be so unfun?

But it's a good think you've had so much extra cash laying around for all of these additional expenses.

We missed you today! Grandma J said to say hello to you and she wished you were there.

Pumpkin Delight (Kimberly) said...

Damn fixit guys! As I read this I was very jealous that you were getting a freezer below fridge as I just bought a side-by-side fridge to be delivered next week. But now I feel bad for being jealous...well I'm still jealous, you've got a handy husband. I'd take that over a new fridge any day!


PS: My word verification below is "artbum". Hah! That's funny.

Unknown said...

The refrigerator going out is the worse thing...unless it's your airconditioner.
Glad you had such smart handy men around to save you so much money.

The new fridge can wait a bit longer, maybe it will have newer features when it's time.

I'm sorry I missed you today....maybe next time I'm in town. Jason and Pumpkin were so sweet, as was Giancarlo, Diego and the crew from Australia. You have to ask Diego about my boa constrictor...in Texas.

Laura said...

Ah man, all you were asking for is a new fridge....is that to much. But just a FYI i HATE my below freezer that pulls out as a drawer. But that's me, love LOVE the fridge part but Freezer bad!! I can give you the details as of why. It was a sign from god, he didn't want you to be unhappy with a new fridge. But props to your husband, all the money he saved you is a new outfit now right?

Claire Marie said...

This sounds like the perfect fridge for the garage....

I agree with the freezer on the bottom.....

AND Please send the fix it guys over to my house to assemble the stuff I ordered and can't put together.