Thursday, December 4, 2008

Waffle House

My dad is going to guest post for me today. On the way from the airport to the hotel, my dad spied a Waffle House and freaked out because he looooves a Waffle House. He wanted us to go to the Waffle House to experience the "ethnicity" of the place. Well, after being awake for over 24 hours this threw me into a fit of giggles. Ethnicity at a Waffle House. here, I'll let him tell you all about it...



I had a hard time convincing the crew to eat at the Waffle House. First, I clarified the ethnic comment and said " you'll see a lot of local color and at least half of the patrons will be missing at least one tooth. Also, there is a good chance that the waitress's name will be Kitty". Andy was on board as soon as I said they had food, but the rest were still not convinced. So I emailed my friend Jim Ramsdale aka "Rambo" to get his advice because he loves the Waffle House more that anyone in the country. Rambo said " would you go to Paris and not see the Eiffel Tower?" and "When you arrive it will be in the middle of the night and it will be yourself, the waitress, the cook and a couple of drunks and just came from the local country western bar. By the time you leave you have 4 new friends and you will know all about them, as they will know all about you.
If a debate starts on which is best "a Ford truck or a Chevrolet truck?" stay out of it. " Finally everyone was on board if not a bit leery. There are two Waffle Houses to choose from and Jennifer said "let's go to the fancy one". When we got there, the line was out the door, but that gave us a chance to read the Waffle House signs including their crowded restaurant policy. "If the restaurant reaches maximum capacity, form an orderly line outside of the restaurant and line cutting is not allowed." We finally got a table and Jennifer was impressed that they only had real sugar , Equal was not to be found. Andy had a cheese omelet with cheese and it was pretty gross looking but he left nothing on his plate. Everyone loved the waffles. Jennifer loved the waitresses hair kerchief. Andy keeps talking about going back, but the girls aren't ready yet.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

We have Waffle House restaurants here in TX too. When I used to visit my son in Florida, he always took me to the one in his neighborhood. We had to sit at the counter so we could hear the waitress call out our order...He laughed himself silly every time!

Lacking Productivity said...

A restaurant must be good if they are crowded enough to have a crowded policy...I would have been thrilled to go...no convincing for me...however I would have wanted to see what they do if you cut in line.

Anonymous said...

classic Stevie!