Thursday, February 26, 2009

Teacher of the Year

My staff selected me this year as Teacher of the Year. I get to go to a ceremony in April and be clapped for. It is all very exciting and it only took me 13 years to finally get picked. I'm not telling you this to congratulate me or brag. I am telling you this because today was the day they came to film me in my classroom for the "big night". There will be, apparently, a video of all of the nominees. Oh, what shall I wear? :)
Anyway, so in walks a 16-ish looking boy from the production department of a local high school. My kids were so excited about this filming. They thought we were going to be on the news and become instantly famous. They were so wound up. The high schooler hands me a list of questions that I was not forwarned about. They were all general-can't-be-creative-or-original-or-witty-type questions.
*What inspired you to become a teacher?
*How are you helping the future of America?
*What do you hope your students remember about you in 25 years?
He says to me,"Look back there like someone is asking you the questions." So, he is filming me while my students are watching and I am staring at the back of my classroom. Weird. Then, he asks if he can interview some of my kids. Oh boy. So, two of my more gregarious girls say they would just"love to be interviewed." The high school student asks them why they like me as a teacher. This was their response,"Oh, we just love her hair and make up. She's so pretty and really funny too. She should be on Broadway one day."
I love those girls. They will be getting straight A's this year.

11 comments:

Jason, as himself said...

You're such an inspiration to me. And you're beautiful and I know you'll make it to Broadway one day!

If only I could get chosen as teacher of the year...

Unknown said...

Oh yes, they are so right. You are beautiful and that hair and make-up! WOW.

Congratulations Mrs. Jlo!

Pumpkin Delight (Kimberly) said...

I love it! Just wait until you see the video and the booklet photo. They manage to make everyone look ugly, blotchy, and tired. It's horrifying! Glad the girls came through!

KMilty said...

You ARE gorgeous (and sassy!)! Congratulations!

Lacking Productivity said...

Why do they deserve As? All they did is tell the truth. "Citizens do not deserve rewards for being citizens," as Dwight would say.

ChiTown Girl said...

Aw, congrats, my Bloggy Friend!! That is so awesome! Don't you love it when your kids say stuff like that about you? It's so funny and heartwarming. My babies say the funniest things about me all the time, most of which stems from the fact that I'm one of only 5 caucasians in the entire building. 100% of our students are black, so they notice the goofiest stuff, that we probably never even think about. Of course, they ALWAYS have something to say about my hair!! It's really a riot the once of twice a year when I straighten it!! I should post about their reaction next time I do it! ;-)

mom x 2 said...

What a great honor!!!Congratulations!!!!

mom x 2 said...

What a great honor!!!Congratulations!!!!

Unknown said...

I love your hair and makeup too. That is basically why I read this blog! Because you have BEAUTIFUL hair and DYNAMIC makeup....please give me an A for friendship : ).

I hope you win!

Jen said...

Congratulations Jen!

JCK said...

Congratulations! Over here from Jason's blog. My friend Jose was one of the 5 (4?) picked last year. It is a huge achievement. You should be proud of all of your hard work!