Saturday, December 19, 2009

Holiday Traditions Around the World

I've been teaching 2nd grade for 6 years now. Every year, we do a "Holiday Traditions Around the World" program. The kids rotate all month long through each 2nd grade teacher's classroom to learn about customs and traditions from around the world. Then, in the afternoons, I teach the kids a song from each country plus a couple of tear jerkin' extras. Each class also learns speaking parts teaching the audience about the customs from their special country. FINALLY, I had my own kid in this program. It was so much fun to do this with her!
Here's Bella ready to perform!

All this singing is exhausting!

Bella said,"La Befana flies on her around on her broom. She goes through chimneys and puts goodies in stockings of well behaved children and ashes in those that are not well behaved." Her class taught us all about Italy.

One of my favorite parts of the show is when the kids wear reindeer antlers and sing "Rudolph!"

Here's Bella and Olivia with Bella's best friends, Sammie and Stefani! They've been best friends since kindergarten.

Bella's teacher, who she adores, Miss Ponek. (She lives in the neighborhood I grew up in. I joke with her that we are sisters and we didn't even know it. She's just the more shy, gentle version of me!)

The Almost Famous Family

Grandma and Papa

Even Reed made an appearance!

The program was a huge success. There wasn't a dry eye in the house after the kids sang "Small World" and "Memories of Christmas"...mine included! Can't wait to do this again next year with Livvie!!

4 comments:

ChiTown Girl said...

Awww...so sweet! And, I especially LOVE that Bella got to speak about ITALY! Woo hoo!

Jason, as himself said...

What a cute program! I really like this idea. I once asked some teachers if they wouldn't mind sharing it with me but they told me no, it really just belonged at their school.

If that wasn't the Christmas spirit, I don't know what is.

I'll see you tomorrow!

Unknown said...

Oh, I love that she was in the program! And she had such a great part too : ) I love your family and friends. Everything about this post makes me smile : )

Unknown said...

PS Poor Jason! I can't believe any teacher would NOT share this idea with him. Craziness I tell ya : ) Wink!