On Friday night, Grandma, Papa, Julie and The Almost Famous Family headed to the Hollywood Bowl for The Sound of Music Sing A Long! We love the Hollywood Bowl. If you have never been to this sing-a-long, it is quite a looooonnngggg night. First, they start off with the goodie bags. The host goes through all of the goodies and tells you what to do with them throughout the movie. For example, you wave your piece of curtain fabric when Maria sings "These Are A Few of My Favorite Things." You pop your firecracker popper when the Captain and Maria kiss. It's all very fun...kind of like Rocky Horror Picture Show, only tamer. Then, the parade starts. People come seriously dressed up for this event. There were lots of nuns and cute families dressed up in their lederhosen. The funniest guy had on a shirt that said, "Christopher" on the back and he was carrying a plunger.I'll give you a second.
*
*
*
He was Christopher Plummer!! (Come on, the CAPTAIN!!)
The winners of the costume contest were a family dressed as music notes. Each kid had their face inside the note and around their face was something clever, like deer antlers for "doe", a sun for "ray". You get the idea. Another cute costume was a needle and thread. "So...a needle pulling thread." Clever people out there!! I'm already thinking about costume ideas for next year.
So, finally by 8:30 the movie, the three hour movie, was ready to start. Oh, it was a hoot. Everyone was singing along and using their props accordingly. Then, the guy behind us arrived a good 15 minutes into the movie. Once he and his three very loud kids got settled in with their hot dogs and meatball sandwiches, he was ready to sing. And sing he did. Julie and I were fascinated by the dynamics of this family. A dad, takes his three kids, by himself to the Sound of Music to sing like it was his very own show. Well, by this time I'm punchy. It's 9:00 on a Friday night, and for this girl that usually means bedtime. But, tonight, it meant a SING OFF with the guy behind me. Just in the nick of time, Do-A-Deer came on. Well, I just so happen to have Variety Show experience with this baby. I know every do-re-me-fa-so-la and ti in that mutha. He was shaken, but it didn't phase him for too long.
After intermission, many movie watchers still sang along, but it was much more mellow than the first half of the movie. Not, for my friend behind me, though! He kept singing his guts out for the entire three hours....whether he knew the words/tune or not.
Then there was the joker. You know the kind. The guy that has the comment for everything. Oh yes, him. He was there too. Some things he said were funny. Some things he said were inappropriate for a family audience. He was funny for the first two hours of the movie. Then he got on my ever lovin' last nerves.
This was, believe it or not, the first time Andy has ever seen The Sound of Music. Can you believe that? At first, he looked like he was going to go find a sharp object to impale himself with, but then he was getting a kick out of my sing off and the "funny guy" behind us. Andy actually did enjoy the movie. I love making that guy watch a musical. It feels like a personal triumph every time!
Well, it's been a long weekend. I'll post more about that later.
So long, farewell, auf Wiedersehen, good night!!
8 comments:
That sounds like so much fun! I love The Sound of Music! I'm not much of a singer though.
Is it "Doe-a-deer" or "Do-A-Deer"? What movie were you guys watching?
;)
I've wanted to do this for a long time. It sounds like you all had such a fun time.
In a way, I feel sorry for Andy, because if you weren't raised on The Sound of Music, I'm sure you just don't understand the hype. He's always such a good sport.
Oh! Way to start my Monday with a laugh.Wish I had been there! But, next year I could be. Not sure if I could get my husband to a musical, though....
First of all, I love love love the Fall background. I think this was one of your funniest blogs ever! I'm so glad that I was part of the fun evening because, after reading your blog, I would have been jealous if I wasn't there.
Andy had fun, don't kid yourself. This is all part of being a Dad of two girls. Just ask Steve who was also there. The Sound Of Music is one of Steve's favorite movies.
I do wish I would of sent Jen to singing lessons instead of dance!!
It sure is fun being Grandparents of the Lopez girls.
Thanks for getting the tickets Julie.
Oh, sounds like such a good time! I love the Do Ray Me, etc. song so much. What are dressing up like next year?
Also, love the fall look, but I have a question. Did you have to redo all your side thingys when you redid your page. When I redid mine it was a big pain in the butt and I don't want to do that again, but I'm a little tired of mine look. You're so blog savvy, you have to let me know. See you manana at salsa.
You're hilarious!
I've given up Pioneer Woman for your blog.
Yes, this is why you needed to start blogging. I probably would have peed myself if I had been there to witness your SING OFF.
Still want cardio salsa pictures.
Post a Comment