It is spring break. A colleague of mine offered us her house 45 minutes outside Yosemite. I am a native Californian and have never seen Yosemite. I was excited to take her up on the offer and go spend some time with nature. I saw so many beautiful things this weekend that it almost hurt my eyes. Things they write about in songs...purple mountains majesty...deer prancing...legendary stuff. It was all amazingly, breathtakingly beautiful. But, I'm still not one with nature. I can't help it.
This little gem is called "Housekeeping." You can rent this half tent/half cement wall thingy and stay here right in the heart of Yosemite. Andy did as a kid and was all excited about showing it to us. The girls loved it and called who would get to sleep where. Andy suggested next time, perhaps we could stay here. (Well, he didn't say "perhaps", but you know what I mean.)
To which I replied my BIGGEST eye roll EVER. I hope they have a nice vacation without me.
Thankfully, the girls feel one with nature. They ran free with careless abandon.
They spent hours skipping rocks with Andy trying to see how many times it would skip...most of the time once with a big KERPLUNK!
Olivia laid in the grass with her arms and legs outstretched, relaxing in the sunshine.
I will, however, host a car picnic with all the fixings.
I'll even play in the snow, if you ask me to.
I'll even climb a rock to get the best view! I can appreciate the beauty of nature. I will just be content to sit back with my camera and capture every moment on film.
8 comments:
And I'm right there next to you.
Except for that part about playing in the snow. Brrrr.
Oh how this made me giggle!
It took me a long time to really appreciate nature. I would still never profess myself a "nature girl," but I am really trying. I think I want to become more like those outdoorsy types...but not entirely, just a little bit more like them.
Try growing up with a teacher Dad whose summer job was a CA State Parks Ranger. We spent every summer packing up and driving up to Plumas Eureka SP for the summer. The mountains were my playground, and it was awesome. Then it was time to take my own kids camping out here on the East Coast. You know what we've got here? Bugs. Tons and tons of flippin bugs. I hate bugs. Thus I would be really glad to stay anywhere on the West Coast with my family. But back here? Not a damn chance. Thanks for sparking some great memories.
Looks like fun! ...I'm not a nature girl either!! I don't think there is anything wrong with that. : )
What beautiful scenery! But, I'm with you, I'm NOT sleeping in anything other than a REAL bed in a REAL building!!!
This was one of my favorite posts you ever did. It made me smile and laugh out loud. When I saw those beds I thought, OH MY WORD, she is so much braver than I would have imagined :)
Good to know you did NOT stay there : )
Post a Comment